Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Ramblings of an atheist - 1

In my experience atheists get a pretty bad rap. Most people view them as god hating heathens who have lost their way.

I am a Roman Catholic by birth. Born and raised in the church, educated in the catholic school system (both elementary and secondary). I have been baptized and confirmed. I believe in the promotion of respect and dignity for all people (and not ‘all’ people in the stereotypical religious sense of hating those who are different).

I began to question the church (and my faith) when I was about 15 or 16 (yes, yes…the stereotypical age to doubt). My transition was slow and gradual, from theist, to agnostic, to atheist. It started when I began to ask questions (…gasp!…’how dare you question that which is sacred and holy?) and received answers of ‘just cause’ or ‘that is what faith is for’.

I’ve always thought of faith as base jumping, only someone else is responsible for your safety. Someone at the top hands you a backpack looking thing, you put it on, and jump. Better hope it was a chute they handed you, folded properly, and functional. (yes, yes I’ve heard it before ‘but that is the beauty of it, God is not the chute, God will scoop you from the sky). To which I reply, “well perhaps Buddha, or allah, or the flying spaghetti monster will scoop me from the sky instead.

I do not have anything against people who believe, as long as they have questioned their belief. If their faith stands up to their questioning, then ‘good on them’. I would love to believe that there is something more to life, but I cannot. I do not despair over this, however, I enjoy my life very much and don’t feel like anything is missing.

More to come on this issue…

1 comment:

GWD said...

Good post, James. I'll look forward to others on this subject.

Here's a great link on the subject of atheism by a Canadian Baha'i whose writings I have been studying lately. ( can't remember how to hyperlink on Blogger, so you'll have to paste the link to connect.)

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Den/4944/