Monday, February 13, 2006

A cynics life

This is the second time the topic of ‘cynics’ has come up in the past week. I see myself as a cynic, whether that proclamation automatically discredits me as being a cynic I know not.

A cynic as defined by dictionary.com is:

- a person who believes all people are motivated by selfishness;

- a person whose outlook is scornfully and habitually negative;

- someone who is critical of the motives of others

The definition describes me to a ‘T’. Not only am I ‘scornful and habitually negative’ I take great pleasure in seeing ill fall to someone whom I perceive deserves it.

For example, I relish in the knowledge that Dick Cheney accidentally shot a fellow hunter on the weekend (I am also glad that the hunter is relatively unhurt). I get great satisfaction of out know that one of ‘daddy’s buddy’s’ and a giant ignoramus f’d up. It really is a glorious feeling.

Another example, I love to see self proclaimed Christians acting in very unchristian manners (especially since I am an atheist). When I see this happen, I rather ‘scornfully’ pipe up and say ‘That’s not very Christian of you! What would Jesus do? Or’ and my favourite ‘Your going to burn!!!!’ Hahaha…that always evokes a very pleasant reaction from said person…especially if its your mother. Even better is a Bible thumper, its been a long time since I’ve tangled with a bible thumper. They are so blindly passionate and believe that God cannot make typos.

Another example is government (especially the governments I don’t like, The Republicans, The Canadian Alliance, and … The Republicans), I relish and opportunity to poke fun at their mistakes. Recent examples include, Dick Cheney (see above) shooting someone (see above), Mr. (err. Prime Minister) Harper breaking two of his campaign promises immediately he is sworn in, and countless bushism’s that the Americans apparently find endearing.

Perhaps I am not so much a cynic but rather an admirer of irony. I live for ironic events. The Christian who wants to kick my ass, and then murder some gays all in the name of a merciful and benevolent god, or the cocky as shit undergrad who tells me how ‘he is going to destroy my class’ and then barely passes, or ….well I can’t think of anymore right now (maybe it’s the time) but I think I’ll start keeping a list.

And lastly, just for curiosities sake:

Irony – the use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning; An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning; and Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs.

2 comments:

Coconut said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GWD said...

Cynicism is characteristic of civilization in its decline. However, at the time one civilization is dying, another is being born. Here is a quote that contrasts the contrast between cynicism and its alternative:

"Rather than seeing humankind as 'thrown' into existence, a view that in the case of Sartre and Camus, leads to the judgment that existence is somehow absurd and inherently meaningless, the Baha'i Writings view man and indeed, the entire universe as called into being. The view that we are 'thrown' into existence is a consequence of failing to take into account the fact that the universe and all its inhabitants are the creations of a supreme Being who called everything into being for a particular purpose in the evolutionary world process. We only feel 'thrown' when foreshorten our vision and ignore the existence of God. Whereas 'thrown' connotes a disorderly, haphazard, undignified and even violent arrival which might easily lead to sense of worthlessness, carelessness and despair, being called suggests that each thing is wanted, has a place and a task, is invested with the natural dignity and possesses inherent value."
http://bahai-library.com/articles/existentialism.kluge.html

Welcome to the world of blogging, by the way. And thank you for coming to my site.