Saturday, March 04, 2006

Ramblings of an Atheist - 3

Not sure where this is going to lead but I feel like addressing the issue of atheism again.

I think there are at least two types of atheists, those who require an explanation for everything, and those who don’t. This may sound counter-intuitive initially as atheists are often branded as those who question everything and are never happy with the answers they receive. While this is true of some, if not most atheists, I’d like to think that I fall into the second category, one who doesn’t require an explanation for everything. Mind you, there is a big difference between requiring and explanation for everything and knowing that an explanation for everything exists.

I feel that those atheists who require an explanation for everything are exactly the same as the theists who invoke God to explain anything that cannot be explained. Both groups will not accept the perfectly reasonable answer of ‘I don’t know’.

Being in the field of science I am constantly flirting with the boundary between the known and unknown. Sometimes all it takes to change an unknown into a known is as simple as picking up a text book and doing a little reading. Other times the explanation is not readily available and must be worked at. And as is usual with any field, the answer leads to even more unknowns, whose answers lead to even more. It turns into a violent cascade, but that is part of the fun. Figuring stuff out! I relish the moment of understanding and insight when the ignorance disperses. And it is this that drives my thirst for knowledge and understanding.

I’d like to address the difference between ‘there being an explanation for everything’ and ‘needing and explanation for everything’.

First I will address what I feel is the incorrect outlook on life:

‘Needing an explanation for everything’

Too many people turn away from faith for what I feel is the ‘wrong’ reason. And that is ‘religion can’t explain everything I see around me so instead I will hide behind the religion of science’. And for these people science really does become a ‘religion’ instead of a tool or way of thinking.

By requiring an explanation for everything it is not possible to be content with anything. Such a person in my opinion must surely go mad…enter the stereotypical atheists.

‘An explanation for everything exists’

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, and likely 99.9% of those explanations are currently unknown by humans and will never by fully known or understood by any man/woman. To be truly content one must acknowledge this, else be doomed to a life of superstitious hocus pocus.

Should these unknowns be disconcerting? NO! These unknowns should drive curiousity and a desire for knowledge. Unfortunately the majority of people are quite content to be ignorant to just about everything around them. Although it is often said ‘ignorance is bliss’. So…”c’est la vie”.

After re-reading this I think I maybe coming across as a bit of a pompous-prick who is saying that everyone else is wrong except for me. This is not my intention at all, rather I wish people to understand how I view life just as I tried to understand how others view life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, James. I saw you touch down on Flitzy Phoebie yesterday and decided to check out your blog. I'm rather new to this kind of forum and mostly live on Flitzy---as the troublemaker.

Today's post of yours is just the breath of fresh air that I hope will catch on in our complex world. I agree with you that simply saying, "I don't know," is one of the most humble and honest conclusions.

I have a background similar to yours---born into a religion (in my case, Baha'i), got several college degrees in Religious Studies (unfortunately these studies taught me how to think about the subject), disaffliated several years ago from the Baha'i religion, and now I've "come out of the closet" with regard to my disdain for theism and the religions in which it is enshrined.

I'm beginning to look to science rather than religion to keep my sense of religious awe alive. Physics and the Mind of God: The Templeton Prize Address by Paul Davies (http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9508/davies.html) is excellent material for the imagination.

Another book you might enjoy is The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris.

James Strawman said...

I as well am new to blogging and I'm really enjoying it. It gives me an opportunity to express whatever I want, whenever I want. It also allows me to take on issues that normally I wouldn't discuss with family or collegues.

Thanks for the bood recommendations I'll definitely look into them.

I'd also like to recommend a book.

God's Debris by Scott Adams.

I first read this book about 4 years ago and really enjoyed it. Most of the 'thought experiments' I had already carried out myself but it was interesting to see them down on paper.

James Strawman said...

Faux, that is an excellent question and one that is never really been put to me that way. When I see people praying to god, I think they are doing what they need to get by. I think that it is hollow or unfound, but I would never say that to their face or put them down. Everyone needs something to get them through the day, 'a light at the end of the tunnel if you will'. So even though I disagree and I DO think that it is the lazy way out I understand the 'why' of their beliefs.

I guess that makes sense in a sort of round about way.

James Strawman said...

Faux, that is an excellent question and one that is never really been put to me that way. When I see people praying to god, I think they are doing what they need to get by. I think that it is hollow or unfound, but I would never say that to their face or put them down. Everyone needs something to get them through the day, 'a light at the end of the tunnel if you will'. So even though I disagree and I DO think that it is the lazy way out I understand the 'why' of their beliefs.

I guess that makes sense in a sort of round about way.

James Strawman said...

My crutch...hmmm... I'd say it would have to be rationalizing stuff. Whenever I am backed into a corner, or in a stressful situation I always turn off the emotions and become rather cold and mechanical like a robot. It drives my wife nuts, she often complains that I need to express my emotions more.